Virtual Intern - Middle East and North Africa
Every employee of IRI is responsible for carrying out the Mission of IRI and demonstrating the core values in their day to day operations.
Excellence- We believe in quality results delivered by investing in people. Freedom- We believe in exploration and experimentation to be agile and responsive. Respect- We believe in trust, empathy and empowering people. Teamwork- We believe in diversity, inclusion and the power of global collaboration. Transparency- We believe in open communication and clear decision-making. Accountability- We believe in personal responsibility as the foundation of success.
IRI is creating student and employee partnerships that facilitate the growth and development of IRI's future leadership. The intern will support the work of IRI’s Middle East and North Africa Regional Division.
Interns will learn about time management and work on tasks in a fast-paced international affairs environment. Other professional learning opportunities include attending virtual events and panels and relevant democracy and governance program support.
This position can be either full-time or part-time and will start on September 16, 2020 for no more than sixteen (16) weeks and may not be extended.
- Availability to start on September 16, 2020
- Some college or better (Undergraduate Juniors, Seniors, Graduate Students, or Recent Graduates) preferably in International Relations, Political Science, or related fields, or with an interest in International Development
- Excellent verbal and written skills in English
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office and Sharepoint
- Detail-oriented individual with strong organizational skills
- Flexibility to changing situations and priorities
- Knowledge of Arabic and/or French is a plus
Possible Functions & Responsibilities:
- Assists staff with program activities, virtual events and training missions
- Supports database system and database management
- Monitors domestic and international media outlets daily
- Assists in researching and analyzing country contexts for weekly briefings, reports, program proposals, etc
- Contributes to data collection, cleaning and analysis
- Tracks, monitors, and maps relevant business development opportunities
- Provides administrative support, including scheduling virtual meetings/events, updating country factsheets, etc.
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Gain familiarity and experience with democratic governance in the Middle East/North Africa region
- Develop program management skills, including procurement administration.
- Gain working proficiency in database development and maintenance.
- Gain exposure to program design and implementation, including work plan development, financial planning, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience with translating academic evidence and applied research into programming tools.