Virtual Intern - The Center for Global Impact-Technical Advancement
The International Republican Institute (IRI) is a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization committed to advancing freedom and democracy worldwide by helping political parties to become more issue-based and responsive, assisting citizens to participate in government planning, and working to increase the role of marginalized groups in the political process – including women and youth.
IRI’s Center for Global Impact (CGI) is designed to help IRI learn, innovate, and lead in global democratic development programming. The Technical Advancement (TA) line of effort within the Center is comprised of experts specializing in a range of technical areas and program staff who oversee global and cross-cutting initiatives. TA leads CGI’s efforts to contribute to thought leadership, respond to emerging global challenges and trends, facilitate global initiatives, and serve as an incubator for new ideas and cutting-edge approaches.
- Undergraduate degree in political science, international relations or related field.
- 0-1 year of experience in international development or related field.
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint required.
- Excellent writing, research and communication skills.
- Familiarity with media outlets that cover international affairs and organizations that analyze comparative politics
- Strong ability to read large amounts of text in expedient timeframe and catalog information based on set criteria
Primary Functions & Responsibilities:
- Provide desk-based qualitative research support on democracy and governance issues, including countering foreign authoritarian influence, conflict prevention and stabilization, digital democracy, governance and youth and inclusion.
- With guidance from Center staff, conduct research analysis of qualitative and/or quantitative data, for program design and implementation efforts
- Prepare TA products for public consumption, including by copyediting, managing references, and formatting documents.
- Develop original analytical pieces for public outlets in coordination with TA staff.
- Assist in the design, organization, and implementation of dissemination events for TA products, including webinars, seminars, and workshops.
- Gain familiarity and experience with democratic governance technical areas, including countering foreign authoritarian influence, conflict prevention and stabilization, digital democracy, governance and youth and inclusion.
- Develop program management skills, including procurement administration.
- Gain working proficiency in database development and maintenance.
- Gain exposure to program design and implementation, including work plan development, financial planning, and monitoring and evaluation.
- Experience with translating academic evidence and applied research into programming tools.
- Gain exposure to institutional learning and knowledge management processes
- This position requires no formal work experience. Experience with data analysis (Extracting lessons and conclusions from primary or secondary sources and using them to support an argument) in an academic or other setting is a plus.