Renewable Energy Externship at Leyline
RENEWABLE ENERGY EXTERNSHIP AT LEYLINE
The REEAL program is a 27-week rotational internship designed to give a motivated and hardworking undergraduate student the opportunity to take their classroom learning into the real world, gaining valuable insight and direct experience in the many facets of the renewable energy industry and Leyline’s financing for green energy projects.
No experience in renewable energy is necessary – only a commitment to active learning, a creative and entrepreneurial mindset, and a strong interest in learning how we are helping drive the world’s transition to clean energy and reducing greenhouse gases.
REEAL will begin in the second semester of the extern’s junior year. From January through mid-May, 2021, the extern will spend 10 hours per week rotating through Leyline’s seven teams, spending 2-3 weeks with each learning in depth their particular field, shadowing teammates on calls and meetings, discussing the background context that informs their work, and understanding the connections among our teams that ultimately deliver essential capital to actual projects being built on the ground.
After a break for final exams, the extern will return to Leyline around June 1 for a more traditional 10-week summer internship, serving one or two of our teams with in-depth research projects, developing template processes, and coordinating aspects of projects we’re financing.
By providing essential capital earlier in a project’s life cycle than most other investors, Leyline Renewable Capital is changing the way renewable energy projects are developed and financed. We are a rapidly growing renewable energy finance company with an on-the-ground, real-world mindset. Our team includes experienced renewable energy development and finance experts who are motivated to accelerate the pace of green energy projects and reduce the world’s carbon footprint.
As a company made up of citizens concerned with equity and justice, we recognize that we cannot achieve our goals without a diverse, empowered team. Please see our Statement on Equity here. Instead of asking new team members to conform to our “culture”, we strive to offer candidates with an equitable and accessible recruitment process so that we can hire people who will continually transform our business and workplace culture.
Your responsibilities as Leyline’s REEAL will include:
· 10 hours per week remotely or, when circumstances permit, at Leyline’s offices in Durham, NC.
· During the externship period (approx. mid-January to mid-May):
o Shadowing team members on calls and meetings
o Following up with learning and research on team field of work assigned by team lead or and independently
o Assisting with short-term projects to assist team members in active projects, including research in needed topics such as applicable regulations, reviewing documents, and market or database research
o Debrief with team members at the end of each rotation, especially to identify during the course of the semester those 1-2 teams you wish to join as a full-time intern in the summer
· During the internship period (approx. June 1 to early August):
o Join regular team meetings and, where possible, project calls with outside parties
o Take on in-depth projects for the team by stated deadlines, such as market research, or compiling and analyzing data on environmental issues, public incentive programs, new renewable energy-related legislation, or energy industry trends
o Help create and update template documents and processes to improve team efficiency
o Provide a bi-weekly summary report of work to date and goals for following two weeks
o Meet weekly with primary internship supervisor for continuous learning, resolving issues, answering questions and directing further internship duties
The ideal candidate will meet the following minimum criteria:
· Undergraduate in junior year
· Majoring in a field of study related to Leyline’s work:
Engineering – Pre-law – Business – Public Policy – Environmental Sciences
· Team player who can manage multiple priorities and quickly adapt to rapidly changing deal and development demands
· High degree of curiosity, creativity, proactive mentality, and desire to work in entrepreneurial environment where we are passionate about driving the clean energy revolution and reducing the world’s carbon footprint
· Positive attitude, a willingness to ask questions, and a desire to learn new fields of work and stretch outside of your comfort zone
What we offer
· $15/hour – 10 hours/week externship; 40 hours/week internship.
· Flexible work-life balance on a team that’s relaxed and creative but also intensely focused on achieving impact and excellence
· Team-based approach that provides direct support, mentoring, skill sharing and backup to each team member
· Start-up culture that values respect and curiosity with opportunity to develop skills, lead new ventures and contribute to the mission of reducing carbon emissions through renewable energy
· When we are able to return to our offices in Durham, housing and/or transportation assistance will be provided to externs who are not Durham residents.
Leyline Renewable Capital, LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, veteran status, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Leyline complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has offices. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.