This role will serve as the key support staff for plant dimensional and other quality related data collection, evaluation, and recommendations. Lead projects across small teams from throughout Operations to investigate issues, define root-cause, and implement improvements within the product and process. Support development of automated tools to monitor and analyze dimensional data. Assess and recommend tooling/fixture solutions to current operations and future projects. This role will work closely with several technical teams throughout Kenworth and PACCAR including: Design Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality Assurance, Supplier Quality, Production, Maintenance, and others.
- Provide daily problem resolution support for production operations using dimensional reports, statistical analysis and other available tools.
- Develop and coordinate capability studies and measurement systems to root cause key issues; support collecting and interpreting data and provide recommendations.
- Interface with ME, QA, and Production to configure in-plant inspection systems for process control. Coordinate and schedule measurement activity for correlation and validation of measurement systems.
- Understand drawing GD&T requirements and assist multiple groups with interpretation including manufacturing, supplier, and QA inspection.
- Actively participate in and support cost reduction, PQI improvement, warranty reduction, Six Sigma, and other plant initiatives.
- Investigate, propose, and implement improvements to equipment and processes to improve quality, optimize process flow, increase productivity, and reduce costs.
- Support tooling and fixturing strategies to achieve product design goals
- Effectively communicate and present results and recommendations throughout the organization.
- Keep internal customers, managers, and peers informed of work progress, activities, problems, or opportunities of which they should be aware.
- Maintain knowledge of metrology equipment widely used and emerging within in the industry.
- Willing and able to travel occasionally as needed for training, plant visits, system reviews, etc.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s of Science in Engineering/Mathematics or closely related field required.
- 4+ years of engineering or plant experience with thorough understanding of Dimensional Management.
- Thorough understanding of GD&T principals.
- Proficient in 3D modeling and assemblies.
- 3-D tolerance analysis experience desired (3-DCS preferred).
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, take initiative, and be a team player and problem solver.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical topics; written and verbal, to a variety of audiences.
- Project management experience.
- Self-starter with excellent interpersonal skills.
- Background in Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma problem solving.
- Experience in measurement systems, such as CMMs, analysis and SPC processes.
- Experience in measurement systems analysis, SPC processes, APQP, and PPAP’s.
- Detailed understanding of manufacturing processes, production assembly fixtures, and checking tools.