Big Data & Cloud Engineering Intern
Rakuten Americas' 20+ businesses span e-commerce, digital content, communications and data analytics, bringing the joy of discovery to millions of members around the world. We’ve brought together a unique set of internet services that are changing the way retailers and marketers do business. With businesses such as Rakuten Advertising, Rakuten Rewards and Rakuten Kobo, we can offer marketers the platform and data intelligence to reach consumers at the moment they want to make a purchase. Headquartered in Silicon Valley, our North American businesses provide a customer-centric ecosystem that challenges limits and empowers people, markets and society through innovation. Forbes has recognized Rakuten as one of the world's “Most Innovative Companies” for the past six years. Our team enjoys all the benefits of the tech industry with a family atmosphere that respects different views and nurtures careers. We have the vision and global opportunities to make amazing things happen. In Japanese, Rakuten means “optimism.” It means we believe in the future. It’s an understanding that, with the right mindset, we can make the future better by what we do today. So we challenge ourselves to evolve, innovate and experiment, to create a better, happier future for everyone.
The Big Data & Cloud Engineering Intern is part of the global Rakuten Catalog Platform Department. The Catalog Platform provides services to global business units including an accurate, compelling catalog with millions of products and highly relevant search services. The team uses Big Data technologies, Cloud infrastructure, open source scalable search platform and cutting-edge machine learning/statistical modeling.
The intern is responsible for participating in design and development of Product Catalog and Search components including storage, search, large data processing, APIs, analytics and web services. This is a great opportunity to learn big data technologies and cloud computing as well as to be part of the R&D team that is changing the global e-commerce landscape!
- Participate in design & development of Product Catalog & Search
- Work on implementing storage integration
- Work on developing code and unit testing search index integration
- Implement large data processing (stream & batch) solutions
- Work on enhancing APIs or implementing new APIs
- Implement analytics jobs to process large amount of data
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS (Knowledge, Skills, Abilities)
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Solid Java back-end experience
- Good knowledge of design patterns, OOPS principles and data structures
- Some familiarity with following frameworks/technologies Spring, REST, XML, JSON, Kafka
- Experience with any of these technologies a HUGE plus: Big Data (Cassandra / Hadoop), Spark, Beam, Kafka, Cloud (AWS or Google Cloud)
- Exposure to tools and technologies like Gradle, Maven, Jenkins, git, IntelliJ, Eclipse, Docker to support end to end software development
- Strong troubleshooting and performance tuning skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced Agile development and rapid deployment in the Cloud/SaaS environment.
- Currently enrolled in BS/MS in Computer Science or a related field
RAKUTEN SHUGI PRINCIPLES
Our worldwide practices describe specific behaviors that make Rakuten unique and united across the world. We expect Rakuten employees to model these 5 Shugi Principles of Success.
- Always improve, always advance. Only be satisfied with complete success - Kaizen.
- Be passionately professional. Take an uncompromising approach to your work and be determined to be the best.
- Hypothesize - Practice - Validate - Shikumika. Use the Rakuten Cycle to success in unknown territory.
- Maximize Customer Satisfaction. The greatest satisfaction for workers in a service industry is to see their customers smile.
- Speed!! Speed!! Speed!! Always be conscious of time. Take charge, set clear goals, and engage your team.