This position is part of the Office of Communications and Outreach and provides communications support to the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA).The incumbent will communicate about the agency’s strategic priorities and decisions to external audiences through outreach, engagement, media relations.
Candidates must clearly demonstrate the following qualifications:
- Two (2) years of professional experience in media relations or three (3) years of paraprofessional experience supporting media relations efforts. Experience must include drafting a wide range of written materials (including proactive messaging and materials), developing and maintaining effective relationships with potential partners and spokespeople, and coordinating media events.
- **A bachelor’s degree in a liberal art, including but not limited to communications, journalism, marketing, political science, public relations or directly related field may substitute for a year of experience.**
- Demonstrated experience in media relations and content development.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills in order to distill complex topics into clear and concise analyses.
- Ability to integrate, develop, and execute a communication plan, craft messages, content strategies, and writing in a variety of platforms.
- Accomplished planning and organizational skills to independently and effectively manage multiple projects at a time in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment.
- Human relation and communication skills sufficient to collaborate, work effectively, and create understanding within with a wide-range of stakeholders, partners, and interested parties.
- Demonstrated curiosity, creative problem solving and leadership skills.
- Ability to effectively and confidently persuade, present and champion recommendations and objectives.
- Proficiency in understanding and using Associated Press style.
- General knowledge of environmental and/or climate issues.
Why Work For Us
Our mission is to protect and improve the environment and human health. We work with many partners (citizens, communities, and businesses, all levels of government, environmental groups and educators) to prevent pollution, conserve resources, and to help ensure pollution does not have a disproportionate impact on any groups of people.
The State of Minnesota offers a comprehensive benefits package including low cost medical and dental insurance, employer paid life insurance, short and long-term disability, pre-tax flexible spending accounts, retirement plan, tax deferred compensation, generous vacation and sick leave, and 11 paid holidays each year. We emphasize work-life balance, and strive to have an inclusive workplace for everyone.