Community Health and Economic Recovery VISTA
MAKE AN IMPACT WHILE ENJOYING THE MOUNTAINS OF SOUTHWEST VERMONT.
The Bennington community is facing pervasive poverty and an ongoing opioid epidemic, both of which have been exacerbated by the pandemic. As the Community Health and Economic Recovery VISTA you will use your unique background and skill set to help local Vermonters rebuild their lives. In collaboration with diverse community partners and regional VISTAs, you will develop and sustain programs that:
- Address employment gaps for vulnerable peoples
- Enhance regional economics
- Prevent youth substance use
- Minimize overdose deaths
You create sustainable tools to address poverty and substance use in Bennington County. Continue successful efforts developed by previous VISTAs, including educational programming for vulnerable populations, youth-focused initiatives, coordination of the Bennington College Population Health Fellowship, and much more.
THIS POSITION OFFERS UNIQUE PROFESSIONAL DEVLEOPMENT OPPORTUNITIES:
- Mentorship from an experienced VISTA supervisor and healthcare executive
- Develop projects scoped to your interests and career aspirations
- Monthly AmeriCorps professional development training and opportunities.
- Host site with an exceptional track record of post-VISTA-year placement (graduate schools and growth employment opportunities)
- Collaboration with Bennington College on Population Health Field Work Term Fellowship
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE IS:
- Independent worker
- Skilled at navigating complex and diverse community-based teams
- Experienced with project management tools (timelines, work plans, etc.)
- Understand the complex factors that affect poverty and substance use
- Bachelor's preferred, Associate's considered
THIS IS AN AMERICORPS VISTA POSITION. AmeriCorps pays a modest living stipend based on your geographical location and year of service. Upon completion of their service year, VISTAs are entitled to a $6,195 educational stipend or a $1,800 cash award. Southwestern Vermont Medical Center also offers modest rent support and 1 meal per day.
BENNINGTON IS A GREAT PLACE TO LIVE AND WORK:
- Small town nestled in the Green Mountains of Vermont
- Only a few hours from urban centers in NY and MA
- Ample outdoor recreation opportunities (skiing, hiking, kayaking, cycling, fishing, etc.)
- Vibrant arts scene (Mass MoCA, Clark Art, etc.)
- Eclectic music and theater scene (Old Castle Theater and Basement Music Series)
- Proximity to several colleges (Bennington College, Williams College, etc.).
SOUTHWESTERN VERMONT MEDICAL CENTER IS A COMPREHENSIVE, NOT-FOR-PROFIT, RURAL HEALTH SYSTEM SERVING MORE THAN 75,000 PEOPLE IN VT, NY, AND MA. SVMC is dedicated to improving the health of the local population by delivering exceptional medical care and addressing the social determinants of health. SVMC understands that health is not solely a derivative of individual behavior or genetics- rather, they are driven by a series of complex connections between education, socio-economic status, environment, social marginalization, relationships, and systemic factors.