Data Engineering Intern
The Yum! Brands story is simple. We have the three distinctive, relevant and easy global brands – KFC, Pizza Hut and Taco Bell -- born from the hopes and dreams, ambitions and grit of passionate entrepreneurs. And we want more of this to create our future! As the world’s largest restaurant company we have a clear and compelling mission: to build the world’s most love, trusted and fastest-growing restaurant brands. The key and not-so-secret ingredient in our recipe for growth is our unrivaled talent and culture, which fuels our results. We’re looking for talented, motivated, visionary and team-oriented leaders to join us as we elevate and personalize the customer experience across our 48,000 restaurants, operating in 145 countries and territories around the world!
At Yum!, we’re looking for a data engineering intern to add to our dynamic and rapidly scaling team. We’re making this investment to help us optimize our digital channels and technology innovations with the end goal of creating competitive advantages for our restaurants around the globe. We’re looking for a solid engineer who brings fresh ideas from past experiences and is eager to tackle new challenges in our company.
We’re in search of a candidate who knows about and loves working with modern data integration frameworks, big data and cloud technologies. Candidates must also be proficient with data programming languages (e.g., Python and SQL). The Yum! data engineer will build a variety of data pipelines and models to support advanced AI/ML analytics projects - with the intent of elevating the customer experience and driving revenue and profit growth in our restaurants globally.
As a Data Engineering Intern, you will:
• Partner with KFC, Pizza Hut, & Taco Bell to identify opportunities to leverage company data to drive business outcomes.
• Play key role in our advance analytics team developing data-driven solutions, responsible for driving Yum Growth.
• Interface with other Yum platform engineers to ensure data quality and standardization of processes across various Yum cloud environments.
• Design and develop scalable data ingestion frameworks to transform a variety of data sets.
• Execute and maintain data pipelines in support of local and/or brand-specific use cases.
• Build and maintain data integration utilities, data scheduling and monitoring capabilities, source-to-target mappings and data lineage trees.
• Implement and manage production support processes around data ingestion, transformation, data quality, data lifecycle, coding utilities, storage, reporting and other data integration points.
• Maintain system performance by identifying and resolving production and application development problems; calculating optimum values for parameters; evaluating, integrating and installing new releases; performing routine maintenance; and answering user questions.
Skills and Qualifications
• 0-2 years of data engineering and data warehousing experience.
• 0-2 years of experience working in technical project teams and delivering outcomes.
• Experience working with cloud data solutions (e.g. on Azure, AWS, GCP). Cloud certifications are a plus.
• Experience with designing and deploying end-to-end solutions with data and analytic services including storage, elastic computing, databases, serverless technologies, microservices, and AI/ML frameworks.
• Experience with open-source tools such as Apache Airflow and Apache Spark.
• Background in data with experience in architecture, data modeling, data engineering or data governance using all types of databases.
• Working knowledge of agile development, including DevOps concepts.
• Experience with cloud SDKs and programmatic access services.
• Proficiency in a relevant data/development language for cloud platforms (e.g. Python, Scala, Java and C#/Unix).
• Proficiency in SQL.
• Preferred degree – B.S. in Computer Science or related field (e.g. Information Systems) or B.S. in Engineering.
More About Yum! Brands
Employees may work for a single brand and potentially grow to support all company-owned brands depending on their role. Regardless of where they work, as a company opening an average of 8 restaurants a day worldwide, the growth opportunities are endless. Taco Bell has been named of the 10 Most Innovative Companies in the World by Fast Company; Pizza Hut delivers more pizzas than any other pizza company in the world and KFC’s still use its 75-year-old finger lickin’ good recipe including secret herbs and spices to hand-bread its chicken every day.
Yum! and its brands have offices in Chicago, IL, Louisville KY, Irvine, CA, Plano, TX and other markets around the world. We don’t just say we are a great place to work – our commitments to the world and our employees show it. Yum! has been named to the Dow Jones Sustainability North America Index and ranked among the top 100 Best Corporate Citizens by Corporate Responsibility Magazine in addition to being named to the Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index. Our employees work in an environment where the value of “believe in all people” is lived every day, enjoying benefits including but not limited to: 4 weeks’ vacation PLUS holidays, sick leave and 2 paid days to volunteer at the cause of their choice and a dollar-for-dollar matching gift program; generous parental leave; competitive benefits including medical, dental, vision and life insurance as well as a 6% 401k match – all encompassed in Yum!’s world-famous recognition culture.