SUMMER ASIC INTERN
Open Date: April 16, 2021
Close Date: April 30, 2021
Fermilab is America’s premier laboratory for particle physics and accelerator research, funded by the U.S. Department of Energy. We support discovery science experiments in Illinois and at locations around the world, including deep underground mines in South Dakota and Canada, mountaintops in Arizona and Chile, and the South Pole.
We are strategic risk takers, innovators and collaborators. We are engineers, scientists, technicians, administrative professionals. We are 1,800 employees advancing knowledge for the benefit of humankind. Fermilab has been at the forefront of particle physics for more than 40 years. We build world-leading accelerators and detectors to conduct some of the most advanced particle physics experiments possible. We collect and analyze the data from those experiments with some of the most powerful computers in the world. We conduct this research on a 6,800-acre prairie 35 miles outside Chicago, a treasure that has been designated a National Environmental Research Park.
The Quantum ASIC Group in the Fermilab Quantum Institute seeks a motivated ASIC Development Engineer Student to contribute to research activities and engineering work focused on quantum microelectronics and/or radiation detector instrumentation.
This is a Seasonal Graduate Intern position from June – Sept 2021.
- Perform a leading role in Analog and RF ASIC design projects, while being able to contribute individually to major design tasks.
- Design circuit networks using schematic entry and layout tools in Cadence CAD/EDA or a similar environment.
- Build test benches and carry out analog and/or RF circuit simulations.
- Execute physical and functional circuit and system verification.
- Prepare documentation for the design.
The selected candidate will demonstrate good judgment, ability to work in a project team, and should be motivated to carry out research activities focused on quantum instrumentation. The position includes delivering presentations internally, at national and international workshops, and at the topical conferences.
We Are Looking For:
- Currently pursuing MS or PhD in Electrical Engineering with background in solid state circuits and integrated circuit design
- BS or MS post-degree experience demonstrating past involvement in development of mixed analog-digital designs
- Readiness for working on challenging projects that may have tight schedules
- Capability of working as part of a design team in a research and development environment
- Experience with modern front-end and back-end CAD/EDA design tools, such as Cadence, Synopsys and Mentor for the IC design
- Strong computer skills and competence in performing analytical engineering calculations, in drawing schematics and in documentation
Physical Activity and Work Conditions
Human Factors: Sitting, Visually Demanding (extensive computer use), Mental Concentration, Tight Deadlines Diverse people. Diverse jobs. Great science.
Fermilab is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Underrepresented groups/Women/Disabled/Veterans are encouraged to apply.