Business Tax Receipt Specialist/Alarm Specialist - Summer Intern
Summary of Position:
The Intern will work within the Business Tax Receipt and Alarm Unit which will include research, inputting of financial information, and data processing. Policies and procedures will be developed and written.
EEO Statement for application
The City of Delray Beach does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability, marital status, family status, or sexual orientation in employment or the provision of services
The City of Delray Beach is a Non-Tobacco Workplace. The City will not consider applicants who have used tobacco or nicotine products for a period of at least three months prior to application for employment. The definition of "tobacco or nicotine products" includes but is not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, pipes, snuff, e-cigarettes, and nicotine patches or gum.
Essential Job Duties
City of Delray Beach - Summer Internship Program 2021
Dates: June 1, 2021 – August 6, 2021
***Housing Not Provided***
Essential Functions and Responsibilities:
The following duties are normal for these positions. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Participate in employee development programs
- Perform complex administrative tasks and participate directly in the work each Division
- Research, design, and implement project, working with staff from applicable divisions
- Work with a mentor to set developmental goals to satisfy college internship requirements
- Other responsibilities as assigned
In addition to these basic responsibilities, each internship has specific duties as listed:
For Business Tax Receipt Specialist/Alarm Specialist - Intern
Essential Job Functions:
- Process false alarms (CAD systems). Processes hearing appeals for alarms
- Batch payments for Utility Billing and the Finance Department with account report for alarm registration, business tax receipt, and renewals
- Processes Business Tax Receipts licenses with proper classification daily
- Assist with other projects as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Personal Characteristics:
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office 2010 and Internet
- Ability to employ critical thinking to accomplish goals
- Strong organizational, oral, and written communication skills
- Strong IT skills including Microsoft Office 2010, Internet research
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to assist with the preparation of minutes and agendas (Education Board).
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with City employees and citizens
- Understanding of finance
- Knowledge of process in creating effective policies and procedures
- Knowledge of City Government and interdepartmental relationships
- Minimum Requirements:
- Currently enrolled at a post-secondary institution or recent graduate majoring in Public Administration, Business Administration, Urban and Regional Planning, Education, Political Science or related field.
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk, bend and stand. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Works inside in an office environment and outside in various weather conditions.
Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests might be required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement with the employer, and requirements of the job change.