Product Engineering Internship
Summary of Internship
The 2021 Thermo Fisher Scientific Product Engineering Internship Program is a 12-week summer internship program designed for high potential rising juniors and seniors majoring in engineering as a feeder program to our full-time Product Engineering Leadership Development Program (PELDP). Interns will be matched to a 12-week project based on their skill set combined with the R&D Engineering function needs.
The Product Engineering Internship program provides opportunities for current university students to get hands-on experience partnering with our R&D Engineering teams with a focus on product development. Interns receive formalized feedback, structured training, and mentoring while participating in various key Product Engineering initiatives. This new program provides an exciting opportunity for an early career R&D Engineer to experience different stages of the product development-cycle, utilizing various engineering principles and methodologies to help develop solutions and drive revenue with the R&D function.
Day-In-The-Life would including writing code, working with other software engineers, and rapid prototyping. Agile meetings and software planning will also be included.
- Complete a software PoC that demonstrates UI functionality using a newer technology such as Blazor.
- Create a presentation comparing newer technology to our existing with pros/cons
- Support existing software engineers in their development efforts by contributing to our sprint
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to work independently and as a member of a cross-functional team
- Willingness to learn, be mentored, and improve
- Desire to contribute and improve design of new and existing scientific instrumentation products
- Exceptional customer focus
- Must know how to write code in C#
- All candidates must be a rising collegiate junior or senior by summer 2021 and currently pursuing a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science
- Preferred GPA of 3.2 or higher on a 4.0 scale
- Strong desire and motivation to develop a career as a future leader in the R&D function
- Strong quantitative, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Demonstrated experience with process improvement
- Results oriented through initiative, ownership, and accountability
- Geographical flexibility
- To qualify, applicants must be legally authorized to work in the United States, and should not require, now or in the future, sponsorship for employment visa status