Food Safety Quality Assurance Audit Specialist
GENERAL DESCRIPTION / PRIMARY PURPOSE
The FSQA Audit Specialist implements and audits programs for manufacturing facilities related to food safety and quality assurance in the company’s manufacturing facilities. This role performs audits, generates reports, and uses findings to suggest improvements. The role works collaboratively with FSQA and department leadership to accomplish facility goals and improve other operational metrics.
MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES AND TASKS/DUTIES OF THE POSITION
- Generates various reports using food safety and quality audit data and presents to management to proactively identify areas for improvement. Collaborates with department management to implement improvements.
- Assists with the annual review and update process of the facility’s food safety plan as required by FSMA.
- Audits all quality and food safety check process tasks within assigned area. Reviews compliance documentation and completes a final verification check for all finished products.
- Conducts observational audits of VAP employees to ensure all necessary tasks are completed according to Dole SOPs to maintain regulatory compliance.
- Follows root cause analysis and corrective action plan processes. Acts as an audit business partner with department to correct and prevent issues.
- Identifies a wide variety of risks and escalates issues to FSQA management.
- Develops SOPs for assigned area to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements and Dole standards/expectations.
- Ensures compliance with USFDA, USDA, and FSMA regulations and guidelines associated with all manufacturing elements.
- Participates in process innovation by collecting audit data and making recommendations based on analysis findings to improve and mitigate food safety and quality risks.
- Ensures all facility programs and procedures improvements are being implemented correctly. Raises issues to management’s attention.
- In conjunction with business partners, provides job-specific food safety and quality assurance training.
- Assists departments with developing and improving food safety and quality assurance cross-functional training programs/materials.
- Effectively communicates scientific and technical information to both technical and non-technical personnel in informal settings.
- Creates, executes, and performs training verification activities relative to job-specific food safety and quality assurance programs.
- Executes projects that meet technical and business objectives of Dole Food Company.
- Other duties as assigned.
JOB SPECIFIC COMPETENCIES (Knowledge, Skill, and Experience Requirements)
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills required.
- Ability to conduct audits required.
- Ability to communicate effectively with technical and non-technical personnel, required.
- Must be flexible, even-tempered, a good mediator and persuasive. Able to work in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.
- Understanding of basic sanitation techniques and procedures.
- Understanding of related Federal and State regulations.
- Competency in computer word processing (MS Word), Spreadsheet (Excel) and Database Software (Access) required.
- Bi-lingual, bi-literate Spanish/English is desired, not required.
INTERNAL & EXTERNAL RELATIONS
All levels of PMOs and Technicians in Maintenance, Sanitation, FSQA, Warehouse, Shipping & Receiving, within a VAP facility. Human Resources, local and corporate.
EDUCATION AND CERTIFICATION
Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Food Microbiology, Agriculture, Chemistry, Postharvest Physiology, required.
Lift up to 10-25 pounds, identify and distinguish colors, work in extreme cold some of the time.
X Cell Phone
WORK HOUR REQUIREMENT
Flexibility with schedule as needed with the ability to work beyond normal business hours, weekends, rotating shifts preferred/required.
Occasional domestic travel required to other production facilities.