Fungal Curation Intern
As an intern on the Fungal Genetics team, you’ll play a critical role in Hexagon Bio’s efforts to unlock the biosynthetic potential of the kingdom Fungi. Your primary contributions will include: culturing, documenting, and maintaining a diverse collection of fungi. You’ll contribute to robotics aided high-throughput genomic DNA and RNA extraction workflows, manage strain frozen stocks and activation and enhance the efficiency and quality of these processes. You’ll work closely with our Fungal Genetics team, Automation Engineers, and Software Engineers to develop methods vital to these tasks.
Applicants with a strong grasp of the diversity of phenotypes and growth habits of filamentous fungi are encouraged to apply. This is an ideal position for someone with experience in an academic microbiology laboratory setting working with diverse fungal collections and/or nucleic acid extractions from various fungi.
This is paid internship opportunity.
- Pursuing a B.S./recent B.S. graduate, microbiology, plant pathology, or microbial ecology
- Available to commit to 2-3 month, 40 hours/week internship
- 1+ years industry experience preferred
- Experience operating autoclaves, glass washers, pH meters and balances is required
- Experience using sterile technique is required
- Excellent attention to detail, strong communication and organizational skills required
- Basic understanding of data tracking using spreadsheets is required
- Prior experience with nucleic acid preparation is preferred
- Experience working with filamentous fungi is preferred
- Ability to follow oral and/or written instructions
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment and prioritize responsibilities
- Available to work in Menlo Park, California
Hexagon Bio is an equal opportunity employer and committed to a diverse workplace. All applicants will be considered equally without regard to race, color, ethnicity, veteran status, religion, national origin, marital status, political affiliation, age, sex, sexual orientation, disability status, membership in an organization or any other non-merit factors.