JUMP into STEM Building Technologies Internship Program
NOTE: this opportunity is for JUMP into STEM participants only. All students enrolled in a U.S. college or university are welcome to participate in JUMP into STEM. Please see the JUMP into STEM website for details.
For questions, contact Margaret Scheiner at JUMP-BTIP@orise.orau.gov.
In conjunction with the Department of Energy Building Technology Office, JUMP into STEM engages students and professors from science, technology, engineering, and math backgrounds, as well as from architecture, computer science economics, and the social sciences. The JUMP into STEM Challenges can be presented by professors as a modular component through coursework or pursued by students as an extracurricular development opportunity.
This application is for students participating in the JUMP into STEM competition to win a 10-week paid internship at Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL), the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL), or the Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). Only select students with the top wining concepts will be eligible for internships. Awardees will be assigned their internship location.
The JUMP into STEM competition has seen three successful iterations. Please see the online news story (https://www.energy.gov/eere/buildings/articles/us-department-energy-s-building-technologies-office-announces-2021-jump-stem) to learn about the August 2020 through January 2021 competition. The upcoming cycle will determine competition winners in early 2022 for summer 2022 internships.
Awards to Win
Eligible JUMP into STEM participants who win the final competition will be appointed full-time internships for the summer term (10 weeks) at ORNL, NREL, or PNNL and will be engaged in a research and technology project under the guidance of a laboratory scientist or engineer. Start and end dates may be flexible. Undergraduates will receive a stipend of $600 per week and graduate-level students will receive a stipend of either $700 (if currently a master's degree student) or $750 per week (if currently a doctoral student). Participants whose permanent address is 50 miles or more from the site location city may be eligible for a $175 per week housing allowance and for mileage or flight travel reimbursement to/from the appointment city (up to $500).
- Monday, August 16, 2021 – Zintellect application opens
- Friday, November 12, 2021 – Completion closes for idea submission at JUMP into STEM website; student portion of the JUMP into STEM Internship Program applications due
- Friday, Nov. 19, 2021 – Letters of recommendation due for the JUMP into STEM Internship Program
- Monday, Dec. 6, 2021 – Announcement of finalists, who will be invited to compete in the JUMP into STEM final competition
- Friday, Dec. 10, 2021 – Finalists confirm whether they will compete at final event
- Thursday, Jan. 27 and Friday, Jan. 28, 2022 – Final event for JUMP into STEM at ORNL
- Monday, Jan. 31 to Friday, Feb. 11, 2022 – Notification of internship appointment offer.
- Be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree-seeking program at a regionally accredited U.S. college or university at time of application. Students graduating in fall of 2021 or later are eligible for the internship.
- Have a cumulative minimum GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale as of November 13, 2021. First-semester students who do not have an official GPA yet are eligible to apply and should mark "school does not provide GPA".
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have medical insurance effective for entire term of appointment
- Have one academic or professional recommendation
- Selected participants will be required to submit a technical report or poster at the end of the appointment period