2022 Summer Internship
Job Title: ING Internship Program
Experience Level: Entry-level
Location: New York, N.Y.
Status: Full-time, Paid
Start Date: Summer 2022
ING is a global bank with a strong European base, headquartered in Amsterdam, The Netherlands. Our Americas offices are headquartered in midtown Manhattan in New York (with additional offices in Dallas, Houston, New Jersey, and Los Angeles). Our 53,000 employees serve around 38.4 million customers, corporate clients and financial institutions in over 40 countries.
In the United States, ING’s Wholesale Banking division offers a broad range of innovative financial products and services to domestic and international corporate and institutional clients. We provide specialized lending, tailored corporate finance, debt and equity market solutions, payments & cash management and trade and treasury services.
ING's purpose is empowering people to stay a step ahead in life and in business. This purpose guides us in everything we do. Every ING colleague contributes to that vision. We champion self-reliance and foster a collaborative and innovative culture.
The Orange Code is our global manifesto for how we stay true to our purpose and our tradition of reinvention and empowerment. It is made up of ING Values (we are honest; we are prudent; we are responsible) and ING Behaviors: (you take it on and make it happen; you help others to be successful; you are always a step ahead).
For us, success will only be achieved if we act with integrity. Some companies see diversity as a box to be ticked. We see it as fundamental to our success We promote diversity at ING not just because it is the right thing to do. We promote diversity because it’s essential for delivering on our strategy. We also are committed to work/life balance.
At ING, you will be judged on your performance in line with the Orange Code. And that’s a promise
About the position:
Looking to enhance your future career prospects with an internship in financial services? If you’re curious about a career in finance and would like to gain more professional experience, an ING internship is your opportunity. The internship gives you a “hands-on” experience in a global financial institution.
Why you might want to consider a summer job at ING:
With us, you will have the ability to interact with senior bankers and have the chance to contribute towards projects and assignments that will expose you to industry expertise. You will research, collect and analyze data for various initiatives and increase your knowledge and skills to better prepare you for your career.
Internships may be offered in the following departments (including, but not limited to):
· Lending -offers competitive Lending solutions that help customers achieve their ambitions from approximately 40 offices in EMEA, Asia and Americas. Lending solutions are being deployed across all business segments of Wholesale Banking. Lending transactions can be initiated by the Lending and Sector teams. Lending includes:
a. Acquisition Finance
b. Structured Export Finance
d. Sustainable Finance
e. Loan Capital Markets
f. Transaction Services
· Sectors - focuses on a differentiating client experience through specialized sector knowledge both within and across the different sectors. We combine deep sector knowledge with our multi- product platform to service our client needs in originating, coordinating and executing integrated
financial solutions. Innovation and sustainability are an integral part of our daily business activities. The Sectors business line includes:
a. Financial Institutions
c. Real Estate Finance, Infrastructure
d. Commodities, Food & Agriculture
e. Technology, Media, Telecom & Healthcare
f. Diversified Corporates
· Financial Markets – provides client solutions with trading and sales of financial markets products in global markets. Financial Markets includes:
b. Corporate & Institutional Sales
c. Commodities & Engineering
· Strategic Products – supports our clients with advisory services and access to financing solutions in complex and strategic situations, with the purpose to elevate our client relationship to a more strategic (c-suite) level and enable strategic balance sheet management and fee generation. Strategic Products includes
a. Corporate Finance
b. Capital Structuring and Advisory
c. Debt Capital Markets
Main Duties and Responsibilities of Roles for Each Business Division:
Sectors & Lending – assist Sectors and Lending professionals with:
a. Work as part of deal teams in origination and execution:
i. Perform credit risk analysis and prepare credit approval packages
ii. Prepare and/or present transaction proposals
iii. Create and update financial models and analyze results
iv. Coordinate transaction closing
b. Assist in client relationships & portfolio management:
i. Prepare annual credit reviews and periodic portfolio reviews
ii. Process loan modification/amendment requests
iii. Review ongoing reporting deliverables and track covenant compliance
i. Liaise with other product specialists and departments throughout ING, including risk management, syndications, loan operations, financial markets, and KYC desk
ii. Stay well-informed of trends in the industry and the position of competitors
iii. Prepare ad-hoc/general research assignments
iv. Ensure that clients receive an excellent level of service
Strategic Products – assist Strategic Products professionals with:
a. Analyze market data, comparables and trends, in order to provide guidance on pricing and structures for a variety of new transaction scenarios (leveraged buyouts, recapitalizations, re- financings, etc.)
b. Prepare materials to assist in obtaining underwriting approvals
c. Assist in the preparation of transaction marketing materials
d. Work with the sales team to develop syndication strategies with targeted investor lists
e. Oversee the information and access of data rooms
f. Prepare market research presentations
g. Manage departmental reporting and record keeping
Financial Markets – expect to be exposed to and rotate with multiple sales and trading desks and assist with:
a. Provide technical support in the form of analysis, development, and maintenance for trading desk solutions for the Financial Markets desks in New York.
b. Contribute objective assessments of projects and tasks and work with management to properly prioritize based on cost/time benefit analysis.
c. Work with IT business analysts and developers as a liaison for FM to facilitate tactical and strategic solutions needed to remediate technical trading or sales issues, or develop tools to contribute better information and lessen administrative burdens.
d. Ensure technical solutions are well documented and explained to end users.
College student, graduating between 2023 and 2024 in pursuit of a Bachelor’s degree in Business, Finance, Accounting, Economics, Mathematics, Engineering, or related field, with GPA of 3.3 or higher. Liberal arts majors also welcome to apply.
Experience / Knowledge:
• Prior internship and/or relevant financial experience preferred
• Proficient in MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, especially Excel)
• Financial modelling and credit writing exposure is helpful
• VBA and/or programming skill are a plus
• You are an upbeat and highly focused individual
• High level of business drive, performance motivation, and eagerness to learn
• Strong multi-tasking, analytical, and problem-solving skills
• Adaptability, international mindset
• Flexibility and stress resilience, ability to work under deadlines
• Proven track record to complete assignments efficiently and accurately in a fast- paced environment
• Excellent oral and written communication skills with the ability to express ideas in a persuasive, organized, and articulate manner
• You have customer focus with strong business insight and drive
• You are a highly effective team coordinator and an exceptional teammate
• Strategic thinker with can-do and creative mindset
ING Bank does not have a commercial banking license in the U.S. and therefore not permitted to conduct a commercial banking business in the U.S. Through its wholly owned subsidiary ING Financial Services LLC, and its affiliates, it offers a full array of wholesale products such as commercial lending and a full range of FM products and services.
ING is a committed equal opportunity employer. We welcome applicants of diverse backgrounds and hire without regard to color, gender, religion, national origin, citizenship, disability, age, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law. We celebrate these differences and rely upon your unique perspective to innovate and seize new opportunities. Come as you are.