Mechanical Engineer (Recent Graduate)
Please apply through: USAJOBS - Job Announcement by midnight on September 26, 2021.
This position is located in the Division of Mechanical Engineering in the Directorate for Laboratory Sciences, Office of Hazard Identification and Reduction. The Division is responsible for the mechanical, electrical, and thermal testing and evaluation of consumer productions that are under the jurisdiction of the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). Every CPSC employee is proud to be a part of a team that works together to assure that the products you use every day are safe.
The CPSC is seeking recent graduates under the Pathways Program. This position is provided for recent graduates with a desire to work in the consumer product safety field and/or public sector and assignments are designed to complement the graduates educational field while meeting the expressed needs of the agency and CPSC organizations.
The engineer performs mechanical engineering functions associated with consumer product testing and evaluation. He/she has the responsibilities for small, relatively routine tasks and projects or designated portions of large, complex projects under the direction of a higher grade engineer. The primary duties associated with this position involve the engineering aspects associated with combustion appliances and indoor air quality. As such, the selectee will be responsible for the following:
- Reviews approved test plans, test directives, and available engineering data. Develops plans on how to accomplish the assignment the most efficient, safe and economical manner.
- Designs and fabricates test fixtures required for conduct of test.
- Evaluates products for possibly substantial or imminent hazards by designing mechanical test programs, in coordination with staff from other disciplines such as electrical engineers, or chemists. Conducts compliance or enforcement test on any product which may be subjected to a Commission regulation.
- Obtains analyzes, and evaluates test data and assures that data are valid and complete with respect to fulfilling the requirements of the test. Writes comprehensive reports and makes oral presentations concerning the results of the test.
- Supports other technical staff members in the laboratories by providing mechanical engineering knowledge and expertise necessary to conduct the tests or experiments.
- Uses personal computers for laboratory data acquisition and analysis for presentation of data analysis and for generating reports.
Conditions of Employment
Must be a U.S Citizen.
Must meet Pathways Recent Graduate program requirements.
Must meet education requirements.
This is an appointment under the CPSC Recent Graduate program. You must have graduated within the past two years, from a qualifying educational institution or certificate program. The program duration is two year. Upon successful completion of the program and at the agency's discretion, the appointee may be converted to a permanent position in the competitive service. Appointee must sign a Participant Agreement. Recent Graduates will enter a formal training program with a mentor or mentors and execute an Individual Development Plan outlining training requirements and program expectations. The entire duration of the Recent Graduate Appointment constitutes a trial period.
This is a Public Trust Position. Employment in this position requires a background investigation. If you are selected and cannot obtain a favorable security determination within a reasonable period of time due to disclosed or undisclosed background issues, the tentative employment offer may be withdrawn.
Selectees will be required to complete a "Declaration of Federal Employment", (OF-306), prior to being appointed to determine their suitability for Federal employment and to authorize a background investigation. False statements or responses on your resume or questionnaire can jeopardize your employment opportunity and subject you to disciplinary action, including removal from Federal service.
If you are a male born after December 31, 1959 you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System, or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. Please see http://www.sss.gov for more information.
The selectee will be required to complete a Personal Identity Verification (PIV) process that requires two forms of identification from the I-9 Form. We will compare information provided on the I-9 Form to records available from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. The system confirms employee’s identity and eligibility to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements to participate in this program:
- You must have a final cumulative Grade Point Average of at least a 3.0.
- Current Students may apply up to 90 days prior to their graduation date.
- Recent graduates who have completed, within the previous two years, a qualifying associates, bachelors, masters, professional, doctorate, vocational or technical degree or certificate from a qualifying educational institution.
- Veterans unable to apply within two years of receiving their degree, due to military service obligation, have as much as six years after degree completion to apply.
- May submit unofficial transcript(s). Official transcript(s) will be required, if applicant is selected for a position.
Mandatory Education Requirement. All applicants must meet one of the following requirements to qualify:
Successful completion of a professional engineering degree from an accredited university or college.
You must have a combination of college-level education or training, AND technical experience that furnished you with (1) a thorough knowledge of the physical and mathematical sciences underlying professional engineering, and (2) a good understanding, both theoretical and practical, of the engineering sciences and techniques and their applications to one of the branches of engineering. Please review the OPM page on specifics about required curriculum and for more information on qualifications, please visit GS-0800: All professional Engineering Positions qualifications.
GS-09: Applicants must have a Master’s or equivalent graduate degree or 2 full years of progressively higher level graduate education leading to such a degree or LL.B or J.D. The area of study for undergraduate or graduate must be in engineering.
All applicants MUST submit a copy of their college transcripts with the degree conferred date. Unofficial transcripts are acceptable during the application process. Official transcripts will be required upon appointment.
All materials must be submitted by the closing date of this announcement.
All education claimed by applicants will be verified.