Data Science Summer Intern, Education
Redwood City, CA (Onsite)
Founded by Priscilla Chan and Mark Zuckerberg in 2015, the Chan Zuckerberg Initiative (CZI) is a new kind of philanthropy that’s leveraging technology to help solve some of society’s toughest challenges – from eradicating disease, to improving education. Across our core initiatives of Science and Education, we’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy work, and advocacy, to progress in our mission of building an inclusive, just and healthy future for everyone.
We believe we can help build a future for everyone.
- We aim to be daring, but humble: We look for bold ideas — regardless of structure and stage — and help them scale by pairing engineers with subject matter experts to build tools that accelerate the pace of social progress.
- We want to learn fast, but build for the long-term: We want to iterate fast and help bring new solutions to the table, but we also realize that important breakthroughs often take decades, or even centuries.
- Stay close to the real problems: We engage directly in the communities we serve because no one understands our society’s challenges like those who live them every day.
Our success is dependent on building teams that include people from different backgrounds and experiences who can challenge each other's assumptions with fresh perspectives. To that end, we look for a diverse pool of applicants including those from historically marginalized groups — women, people with disabilities, people of color, formerly incarcerated people, people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and/or gender nonconforming, first and second generation immigrants, veterans, and people from different socioeconomic backgrounds.
Our work in education is aimed at ensuring that every student — not just a lucky few — can get an education that’s tailored to their individual needs and supports every aspect of their development. We’re pairing engineering with grantmaking, impact investing, policy, and advocacy work to help every young person enter adulthood with the skills and abilities they need to reach their full potential — and equip every teacher with the tools and research they need to help students get there. An example of the work CZI's education team supports include the Summit Learning Program, a personalized approach to teaching and learning that enhances the quality of student-teacher interactions and empowers educators to tailor instruction to individual student needs.
Our Education Data Science team is responsible for measuring and evaluating product and program changes. For example, how product impacts student performance on cognitive skills, how schools onboard onto the program or how professional development impacts on onboarding, etc. This team defines measurements, product metrics, provides product insights through analysis, recommends what to improve and build next, as well as collaborates and communicates with the cross-functional and leadership teams.
- Influence decisions on our product development and education program. You will do this via data analysis in SQL and Python/R, and through presentations.
- Develop expertise on our users: students, teachers, and school leaders.
- Collaborate in a cross-functional team, which includes product management, engineering, design, and user research.
- Define success for your team in collaboration with product managers and your mentor. You will evaluate and measure the success of new product features.
- Experience in solving analytical problems using quantitative approaches (or equivalent)
- Experience with SQL and other programming languages (R or Python)
- Experience solving data-driven problems, including problem definition, data exploration, solution proposal, implementation, testing, and evaluation
- Excellent communication and organizational skills
- Currently working on the process of obtaining, a Bachelors, Masters, or PhD degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Statistics, or a related data-oriented technical field and will have time remaining in school after your summer internship
- The ability to work for 12 consecutive weeks during Summer 2022
- Targeted graduation date between December 2022 through Summer 2023
Nice to have
- Curious, self-driven, analytical and excited to play with real-world data
- Data Science experience from previous internships, work experience, academic research, lab work, or personal projects
- Passion for social impact or education policy.