Debt Capital Markets Internship - May 2022 - Charlotte
Make banking a Fifth Third better®
We connect great people to great opportunities. Are you ready to take the next step? Discover a career in banking at Fifth Third Bank.
Debt Capital Markets Internship
Fifth Third Bank’s project-based Debt Capital Markets Internship Program provides college students the opportunity to participate in a hands-on program supporting the Charlotte, NC market. This is a paid professional development opportunity where students will learn Fifth Third Bank’s business practices, operations, and procedures, and build skills you need to assume a permanent role at a commercial banking institution.
This ten-week internship helps college students gain meaningful work experience and targeted educational opportunities to develop them as future organizational leaders and gain exposure to multiple business areas.
Students will acquire on-the-job skills and an understanding of the real-life work environment, while developing a professional network that includes some of the best talent in the industry.
You will be responsible and accountable for risk, encouraged to openly exchange ideas and opinions, elevate concerns, and follow policies and procedures to safeguard the company. Doing the right thing for customers and colleagues is key; you’ll ensure their actions and behaviors drive a positive customer experience, achieving real results by consistently identifying, assessing, managing, monitoring, and reporting risks of all types.
Fifth Third Securities Overview
Every company has different financial goals. Fifth Third Securities, a full-service firm within Capital Markets, offers a selection of investment banking services and capital markets solutions.
Investment banking professionals guide clients to help determine the solutions that suit current and future needs.
We have 200 investment banking and capital markets professionals with key offices in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dallas, Chicago, Atlanta and Charlotte, focused on middle-market to large multinational corporations; non-investment grade to investment grade credit profiles; private and public companies; and for-profit and nonprofit firms. We offer summer internships and full-time opportunities with a mentorship program.
What You’ll Do
Students will perform a wide range of complex analytical, valuation, financial modeling and transaction due diligence in support of the underwriting, execution and idea generation of debt capital markets transactions. Requires highly skilled quantitative, analytical and communication skills, along with the ability to work well under pressure and tight deadlines. Requires the ability to synthesize large amounts of information to help senior members of the deal team develop innovative client solutions. Ability to communicate effectively and proactively with members of the deal team and collaborate with partners throughout the bank.
During the internship, students will work on projects with their respective group, receiving feedback and performance evaluations based on accuracy, completeness, and through meeting applicable deadlines. At the conclusion of the internship, interns will present their overall experience to the senior leadership team, including key concepts learned and an overview of each project.
• Develop the concepts of accounting, corporate finance and capital markets needed to support transactions
• Build detailed financial models to analyze performance and credit trends as well as structure financing for complex transactions including acquisitions, divestitures, and dividend recaps for public/private companies and financial sponsors
• Exhibit high attention to detail and discipline to check work to produce error free and properly formatted work on a consistent basis
• Exhibit strong work ethic and passion for excellence while conducting self in a professional manner
• Assist in preparation of high-quality presentation materials for use in client meetings and internal deal approvals covering topics such as strategic alternatives, capital markets activity and general corporate finance
• Gain exposure to the full spectrum of capital market solutions and how they apply to specific client situations and changing market conditions
• Assist in the origination and execution of investment banking deals including M&A advisory, debt and equity transactions
• Manage expectations while working on several high priority opportunities simultaneously with oversight from Associates and other senior bankers
• Ability to excel in both team and self-directing settings
• Communicate effectively with deal team members on status and prioritization of projects
• Develop good working relationships with peers and seniors in Capital Markets and the rest of the organization
• Develop proficiency in Bloomberg, S&P Capital IQ, S&P Leveraged Commentary and Microsoft Office
Required Knowledge and Skills
- Pursuing Bachelor’s degree with strong financial or business background
- Minimum 3.0 GPA required
- Excellent presentation skills, both oral and written
- Strong analytical skills and an interest in financial analysis, corporate finance and financial markets
- Good working knowledge of financial modeling and valuation
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to draw conclusions based on financial data.
- Strong presentation and organization skills.
- Process orientation and attention to detail
- Charlotte, NC