Intern, Baseball Information (2022 Cleveland Guardians)
Our teammates are at the core of what we believe in: People, Collaboration, Learning, and Excellence (PeopleCLE). We look to hire individuals who are committed to our purpose of uniting and inspiring our city through the power of team. Our mission is to win the World Series while creating a compelling fan experience. If you believe you possess these important traits, please consider a career with the Cleveland Indians.
PRIMARY PURPOSE: To assist members of the Indians Communications staff with a variety of responsibilities at Progressive Field throughout Spring Training and the duration of the 2022 season, including those related to the production of sports information materials (media guide, game notes, minor league report, season summary), content creation (for use across social media platforms, Cleveland Baseball blog and in support of other department initiatives across org.), broadcasting, player relations/activation, media services and the fulfillment of media credential requests.
The job will require interactions with crowds of people, and thus carries risks associated with such gatherings.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist Communications staff with all phases of operating plan in support of the organization’s Guiding Commitments and departmental goals, with a primary focus in baseball information (e.g. sports information)
- Contribute to the production and dissemination of sports information materials (media guide, game notes, daily minor league reports, press releases) to members of local and national media, undertaking research projects and editing responsibilities as needed
- Contribute directly to compilation and editing of daily game notes, with heavy responsibilities related to the front page and starting pitchers pages.
- Create and disseminate content to promote team and individual accomplishments of our minor league affiliates across the Indians Player Development System.
- Oversee the assembly, reproduction and distribution of various game day materials (stat packs, rosters, lineups, visiting PR requests)
- Provide support for the media credentialing process for access to events held at Progressive Field utilizing MLB’s online
- Brainstorm ideas and contribute unique content for use on various Indians multimedia platforms
- Assist with the operation of all press facilities, specifically the press box, broadcast booths and press conference areas
- Support in-game and post-game operations performed by the department
- Perform additional Communications duties as assigned, including the possibility of Postseason planning/assistance
- Assist with requests from broadcast rightsholders and other departments within the organization
- Contribute to the research and production of various team-related publications, specifically the regular season and postseason media guides
- Assist in logistical coordination and execution of any off-season press conferences/media availabilities
- Support department with player/management appearances and other large-scale events, such as Fan Fest
- Complete various baseball research projects as needed
- Assist with daily spring training game notes compilation
- Provide strong support for the department during the full-season media credentialing process, serving as a primary point-of-contact in Cleveland while other staff members are working at the club’s spring training complex in Goodyear, Arizona
- Responsible for the receipt, organization and distribution of media guide sets for all 30 Major League clubs to the media
- and front office
- Provide administrative support with incoming phone calls/emails and coordinating Arizona mail shipments
- Performs other duties as assigned
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE REQUIREMENTS:
- Strong knowledge of baseball history/terminology/rules and the Cleveland Indians
- Previous exposure to sports information, sports research, and the process of creating game notes is highly advantageous
- for applicants
- Advanced comprehension of environmental factors impacting news/social media today; familiarity with Cleveland market
- a plus
- Prior experience working with amateur and/or professional athletes is beneficial
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook, Adobe InDesign & various social media platforms is encouraged to apply
- Prior experience with MLB Credential System a plus
- Leadership potential combined with the ability to excel in a collaborative, fast-paced environment that promotes
- development, delegation and autonomy
- Exceptional interpersonal skills (written, verbal) and positive attitude a must
- Ability to form strong working relationships with members of the front office and external stakeholders
- Ability to exhibit consistent professionalism in a high-profile sports environment, representing the Indians organizational
- values in a positive fashion to all fans and corporate partners
- Reads, speaks, comprehends, and communicates English effectively in all communications.
- Represents the Cleveland Indians in a positive fashion to all business partners and the general public.
- Ability to develop and maintain successful working relationships with members of the Front Office.
- Ability to act according to the organizational values and service excellence at all times.
- Ability to work with multicultural populations and have a commitment to fairness and equality.
- Ability to walk, sit or stand for an entire shift.
- Ability to work extended days and hours, including holidays and weekends.
- Ability to move throughout all areas and levels of the Ballpark.
- Ability to work in a diverse and changing environment.
- Occasional physical activity such as lifting and carrying boxes up to 25 lbs.