Intern - Automation Engineer - Summer 2022, CO or Remote (US)
Lumen’s US Internship Program is a path for career readiness in the 4th Industrial Revolution.
Be a part of an internship program, driving human progress through technology. During a 10- week period our summer interns innovate and make an impact by transforming industries across the globe and changing the world one connection at a time. Our interns are presented with real business challenges and provide solutions that make a difference across all areas of the company, all while learning the skills needed to successfully navigate the modern workplace.
- Innovate – to deliver solutions to real business problems
- Transform – your skills and knowledge through challenging work projects
- Connect – to our company and culture creating valuable connections with your intern peers, work team and leaders across the organization.
- Impact – through Community & Social Involvement – collaborate with our ERGs to give back and make an impact in the communities Lumen serves.
The Main Responsibilities
As an Automation Engineer you will be a part of the Platform Engineering team in our Broomfield, CO office, working on leading edge industry technologies. The intern will work with a team of engineers to provide support for Lumen’s platform solutions and edge space. This position will also allow the intern to experience new modern technologies, grow their skill and learn to meet business partner needs. The intern should have basic programming skills but be highly dynamic, resourceful, curious, and productive in a fast-paced environment.
- Attend daily stand-up meetings
- Work on high profile, new company technologies
- Assist with implementation of OpenShift Container Platform
- Provide migration assistance from Kubernetes to OpenShift platform
- Work with automation and plugging into other orchestration toolsets
- Assist with logical and architectural diagrams and documentation
- Work in a highly collaborative and transformative environment
- Write code in Phyton, PHP and Ansible
Basic programming skills a must
- Infrastructure Automation Pipelines using DevOps tools/technologies like Ansible, Salt Stack, GitHub, Jenkins, Nexus, Python scripts
What We Look For in a Candidate
- Enrolled at a US 4-year accredited college or university, pursuing a master’s degree at the start of the internship, graduating August 2022 – June 2023.
- Major/Degree: Computer Science, Engineering, or similar technical degree field.
Exposure or experience with
- Container Orchestration Frameworks/technologies - OpenShift (OCP), Kubernetes, Docker, Calico, Ngnix, Istio, Consul, Rook, Prometheus, Grafana, Mesos/Marathon, SpringBoot
- Cloud Engineering in Amazon Web Services, Azure Cloud, Google Cloud Platform using CloudFormation, Azure ARM templates, Terraform
- Distributed Data Platforms/technologies - DataStax, Cloudera, MongoDB, Couchbase, Confluent Kafka, Solr Cloud, Talend
- Strong drive for results and taking initiative
- Resourceful and adaptable
- Collaborative and have agility while making effective decisions
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to interact with business partners and drive the conversation.
- Flexible and adapts well to change
- The position will be in our Broomfield, CO office.
- Intern must be able to work 30-40 hours be week during the 10-week program (June 3– August 12, 2022)
- Intern is responsible and must have reliable transportation to/from work location (Lumen does not provide transportation to/from Lumen office locations)
- US work authorization required
What to Expect Next
After completion and submission of your application, you will be asked to participate in a virtual video interview. This on demand interview will be a way for Lumen to learn more about you and your experience as it aligns to the internship position. A separate email invitation will be sent to you (check your spam) within 6 hours of application. For continued consideration in the summer internship program, please ensure you complete the video interview within 5 business days of application. Thank you!