Budget & Management Services Intern
The City of Raleigh Budget and Management Services Department is responsible for leading organization-wide budget development and management, performance management, and strategic planning efforts. By determining desired outcomes, collecting and analyzing data, and linking data to overarching priorities, the City of Raleigh leverages strategic planning and performance management to assist with allocating resources and administering services to benefit our community of 450,000+ residents.
Reporting to the Budget and Management Services Director, the Budget & Management Services Intern will assist with several special projects. With this position, the intern will be introduced to local government budgeting and performance management.
We are seeking an individual who will bring their strong interpersonal, analytical, and critical thinking skills, along with their passion and desire to learn.
Hiring Range: $20.00 hourly
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform research and analysis, including the review of available datasets, to analyze ways to enhance City operations and effectiveness
- Assist with the development of performance measures and related reporting
- Participate in the development of the City’s annual budget document • Attend Citywide strategy meetings
- Learn about City operations through site visits and other learning opportunities including meetings with City leadership, attending Council budget deliberations, attending public meetings (e.g. City Council meetings and work sessions), and tours of facilities of interest
Education and Experience:
This paid internship will be open to students pursuing a master’s degree in Public Administration, Public Policy, Political Science, or related fields.
- Public administration, performance management, strategic planning, and local government financial and management concepts
- Project management and research principles and resources
- Analytical and statistical concepts and tools (including Microsoft Excel)
- Synthesize complex ideas and communicate them in an understandable way to others, both written and orally
- Conduct comprehensive research
- Demonstrate resourcefulness and creativity
- Work independently, as well as, collaboratively as a member of a team