CBS News, News Associate Program (Freelance)- New York, NY
CBS News, News Associate Program (Freelance)
New York, NY, US, 10019
Temporary / Per Diem / Freelance (Non-Staff)
CBS News and Stations, brings together the power of CBS News, 28 owned television stations in 17 major U.S. markets, the CBS News Streaming Network, CBS News Streaming local platforms, local websites and cbsnews.com, under one umbrella. CBS News and Stations is home to the nation’s #1 news program 60 MINUTES, the CBS News Streaming Network, the first 24/7 digital streaming news network, the award-winning broadcasts CBS MORNINGS, CBS SATURDAY MORNING, the CBS EVENING NEWS WITH NORAH O’DONNELL, CBS SUNDAY MORNING, CBS WEEKEND EVENING NEWS, 48 HOURS and FACE THE NATION WITH MARGARET BRENNAN. CBS News and Stations provides news and information for the CBS Television Network, CBSNews.com, CBS News Radio and podcasts, Paramount +, all digital platforms, and the CBS News Streaming Network, the premier 24/7 anchored streaming news service that is available free to everyone with access to the internet. The CBS News Streaming Network is the destination for breaking news, live events, original reporting and storytelling, and programs from CBS News and Stations’ top anchors and correspondents working locally, nationally and around the globe. CBS News’ streaming services, across national and local, amassed more than 1.01 billion streams in 2021. Launched in November 2014 as CBSN, the CBS News Streaming Network is available on 30 digital platforms and apps, as well as CBSNews.com and Paramount+. The service is available live in 91 countries. CBS News and Stations is dedicated to providing the highest quality journalism under standards it pioneered and continues to set in today’s digital age. CBS News earns more prestigious journalism awards than any other broadcast news division.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: August 14, 2022
CBS News is seeking candidates for the News Associates Program, a competitive, entry-level program aimed at placing emerging journalists throughout CBS News. News Associates rotate among CBS News broadcasts and departments including 60 Minutes, 48 Hours, CBS Sunday Morning, CBS Evening News, CBS Mornings, Special Events, and Streaming.
This is an on-site freelance position with a tentative start date of late September 2022 (subject to change).
- Work with newsroom management to support news coverage and show production
- Conduct research and fact-checking
- Transcribe footage and sourcing images for the production teams.
- Run scripts
- Assist on shoots
- Monitor sources, including social media, wires, and local/national news to assist in newsgathering efforts
- Pitch stories for various platforms
- Attend planning and creative meetings
- Bachelor's degree, preferably in journalism or related field
- Prior journalism experience
- Must be willing to work on-site with some local travel for field shoots
- Candidates should be prepared to work various shifts including overnights, holidays, and weekends
- Must have a strong knowledge of news and current events
- Must have excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Must demonstrate ability to work in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Should have the ability to multi-task, is highly organized, and detail-oriented
- Proficiency in shooting and video editing preferred
- Proper work authorization to be employed within the United States
Paramount is an equal opportunity employer (EOE) including disability/vet.
At Paramount, the spirit of inclusion feeds into everything that we do, on-screen and off. From the programming and movies we create to employee benefits/programs and social impact outreach initiatives, we believe that opportunity, access, resources and rewards should be available to and for the benefit of all. Paramount is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ethnicity, ancestry, religion, creed, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, gender expression, and Veteran status.
If you are a qualified individual with a disability or a disabled veteran, you may request a reasonable accommodation if you are unable or limited in your ability to use or access. https://www.paramount.com/careers as a result of your disability. You can request reasonable accommodations by calling 212.846.5500 or by sending an email to email@example.com. Only messages left for this purpose will be returned.
Paramount believes in creating environments that allow our primary focus to remain on providing entertainment, education and information to our millions of viewers around the world. As part of this commitment to health and safety, Paramount requires COVID-19 vaccines for current U.S. employees, including all newly hired employees, subject to applicable law. Union employees are subject to the agreement reached between the Company and the applicable Union.